Pilates Classes York near Wigginton for Beginners
Ben now focuses on 1-1 Pilates lessons in his Studio near Heworth
Call Ben on 01904 501533 for more information & a free consultation
The History of Pilates
A lot of people want to sample Pilates but often ask me ‘What is Pilates exactly?’ It’s creator – Joseph Pilates – was originally born in Germany in 1880, he was the son of a gymnast and naturopath. Joseph quickly became very interested in health from an early age, learning about many forms of fitness as a adolescent including Body-Building, Zen, Yoga and Gymnastics and he also posed for anatomy charts when he was a teenager.
Joseph Pilates then moved to England in 1912 working as a Boxer and for Scotland Yard in the form of a self defence trainer. Still living in England when the First World War erupted, Pilates was sent to a Prisoner of War Camp on the Isle of Man due to being German. This is where his unique methods were born. Joeseph Pilates had time on his hands to develop his revolutionary methodologies during his internment, he spent his days developing a system of physical exercises and training his fellow inmates in the method which he named “Contrology”.
It is sometimes claimed so many who became injured or ill survived in the camp with Joseph Pilates because of their good physical shape, thanks to Joseph Pilates and following his Method. After the war Joseph Pilates moved back to Germany and collaborated with experts in Dance and Physical Exercise but he didn’t stay in Germany long as he refused to train members of the German Army, instead he emigrated to the USA. On the outbound journey he met Clara, who would be his future wife and help assist him in developing his method further. On their arrival in New York, Joe and Clara set up a studio to teach his methods that today are known as Pilates.
What are the benefits of Pilates?
Pilates is a style of distinctive and specific exercises developed by world famous fitness guru Joseph Pilates, with numerous health & fitness benefits. Pilates Classes:
- Are moderate and low impact
- Targets deep inner core muscles
- Utilize strength and resistance
- Emphasises core strength and stability
- Smooth and controlled
- Appropriate for any fitness (or unfitness!) level
Is a Pilates the solution you’re searching for ?
Pilates is the workout for the 21st century that will help us relax, sculpt and master our fitness with no risk of injuries. Created in the early 20th century by Joseph Pilates as a way of rehabilitating hurt soldiers and dancers, it has grown to be the focal method of training for millions of people (particularly professional dancers), and thousands of celebrities all around the globe. It can help you develop a groundwork of well-being and fitness that amplifies all of the fitness activity you do giving you a well toned core, and reducing the risk of injuries.
Can Anyone do Pilates Classes?
Yes – Pilates can be tailored to your own fitness standard, no matter how unfit you might feel Pilates can help you and is suitable for anybody of virtually any fitness standard. Pilates is particularly useful if you suffer from lower back pain or have back or joint issues.
Because Pilates classes are relaxing, and invigorating, many individuals with medical conditions find it a terrific way to ease themselves towards a balanced and helpful exercise programme. Pilates is great for anyone who is looking to create the perfect exercise and lifestyle programme from a relatively low base.
Pilates Classes York Advantages:
- Lots of toning exercises
- Enhance core strength
- Excellent for toning and shape
- Reduce back & joint discomfort
- Relaxation and stress management
- Improves your posture
Pilates Classes York is predicated around 6 crucial principles:
- Centering – Bringing focus towards the center of your body, centering our thoughts, feeling and emotions to develop awareness of the way in which our body is moving.
- Concentration – Concentrating on the quality of every individual movement, remaining in the present and being conscious of the overall movements our body is generating.
- Control – Each exercise is carried out with complete muscle control, controlling every part of the body with centering as well as concentration.
- Precision – Growing the precision of our own movements helps by utilizing centering, concentration and control – assisting in the fine control of core muscles, and ability to resist injuries when doing other sports and activities.
- Breathing – Joseph Pilates highlighted using consistent breathing patterns in his exercises. Using the lungs to breath ‘laterally’ enabling the pelvic and core muscle groups to engage correctly when we move. Breathing is essential to Pilates.
- Flow – Flowing smooth movements, with precision and grace are definitely the essence of Pilates, building up control and accuracy not only in individual movements but throughout the exercise session.
Pilates Classes York for back pain
Lots of people ask me for ‘pilates exercises for lower back pain’. Pilates is fantastic for reducing and getting rid of lower back discomfort, giving you a gentle and injury free way of training and upping your core conditioning. Pilates is perfect if you suffer from lumbar pain, back pain or sciatica like symptoms.
Pilates Classes York for back pain benefits:
- Relax tight muscles
- reduces sciatica like pain
- manages and resolves lower back pain
- reduces neck and shoulder pain
- Because this is a beginner Pilates course, it can also be considered ‘back pilates’ and would work if you suffer from a bad back.
Fill in this form to claim your Pilates special offer:
Claim your Special Offer Today
Pilates is suitable for toning, fitness, weight-loss* and back-pain help
10x1 hour lessons including a food diary for just £350 Plus bring a friend for free for all 10 sessions! Saving up to £130
Call Ben today on 01904 501533 or complete the form to claim this offer.
Complete this form to grab your offer