Pilates Classes in York near Haxby
Ben now focuses on 1-1 Pilates lessons in his Studio near Heworth
Call Ben on 01904 501533 for more information & a free consultation
The History of Pilates
Lots of people want to sample Pilates but often ask me ‘What is Pilates exactly?’ It’s founder – Joseph Pilates – was originally born in Germany in 1880, he was the son of a gymnast and naturopath. Joseph quickly became very interested in fitness from a very early age, learning about many forms of fitness as a young man including Body-Building, Zen, Yoga and Gymnastics and he also posed for anatomical charts when he was a teenager.
Joseph Pilates then moved to England in 1912 working as a Boxer and for Scotland Yard in the form of a self defence trainer. Still living in England when the First World War erupted, Pilates was sent to a Prisoner of War Camp on the Isle of Man due to being German. This is where his unique methods were born. Joeseph Pilates had time on his hands to develop his revolutionary methodologies during his internment, he spent his days developing a system of physical exercises and training his fellow inmates in the method which he named “Contrology”.
It is sometimes claimed so many who became injured or ill survived in the camp with Joseph Pilates because of their good physical shape, thanks to Joseph Pilates and following his Method. After the war Joseph Pilates moved back to Germany and collaborated with experts in Dance and Physical Exercise but he didn’t stay in Germany long as he refused to train members of the German Army, instead he emmigrated to the USA. On the outbound journey he met Clara, who would be his future wife and help assist him in developing his method further. On their arrival in New York, Joe and Clara set up a studio to teach his methods that today are known as Pilates.
What are the advantages of Pilates Classes?
Pilates is a style of distinctive and specific exercises developed by world renowned fitness expert Joseph Pilates, with numerous health & fitness benefits.
Pilates Classes in York are:
- Gentle and very low impact
- Targets deep inner core muscles
- Uses strength and resistance
- Emphasises core strength and balance
- Flowing and controlled
- Suitable for any kind of fitness (or unfitness!) level
Is a Pilates Classes York the solution you’re looking for ?
Pilates is the workout for the 21st century that will help us relax, tone and get on top of our fitness with no risk of injuries. Created in the early 20th century by Joseph Pilates as a way of rehabilitating hurt soldiers and dancers, it has grown to be the central method of training for millions of individuals (particularly professional ballet dancers), and thousands of celebrities around the globe. It will help you develop a foundation of well-being and physical fitness that amplifies all of the other fitness activity you do giving you a well toned core, and reducing the risk of injuries.
If you are looking for group Pilates classes York can have many different choices and it could be confusing to understand where to begin. It’s often hard to say what ‘kind’ of class you’ll be attending if there is no description on the leaflet or flyer advertising them. If you have never Pilates classes York before, check that it’s a beginner Pilates class as the exact level of the classes can vary considerably.
Can Anyone do Pilates Classes in York?
Absolutely yes – Pilates can be customized to your own fitness standard, no matter how unfit you might feel Pilates will help you and is suitable for anybody of any fitness standard. Pilates is especially useful if a person suffers from back pain or suffer from back or joint problems. Because Pilates classes york is relaxing, and invigorating, many people with medical conditions find it a great way to ease themselves towards a balanced and beneficial exercise programme. Pilates is great for anyone who is looking to create the perfect exercise and life-style programme.
Pilates Classes York is based around 6 crucial principles:
- Centering – Bringing focus towards the center of your body, centering our thoughts, feeling and emotions to develop awareness of the way our body is moving.
- Concentration – Concentrating on the quality of every individual movement, staying in the present and being aware of the overall movements our body is generating.
- Control – Each movement is carried out with complete muscle control, controlling every part of the body with centering and concentration.
- Precision – Growing the precision of our own movements helps by using centering, concentration and control – helping with the fine control over core muscles, and resistance to injuries when performing other sports and activities.
- Breathing – Joseph Pilates highlighted using constant breathing patterns in the exercises. Using the lungs to inhale ‘laterally’ allowing the pelvic and core muscle groups to engage correctly when we move. Breathing is integral to Pilates.
- Flow – Flowing smooth actions, with precision and grace are definitely the essence of Pilates, building up control and precision not only in individual movements but through the exercise session.
Fill in this form to claim your Pilates classes special offer:
Claim your Special Offer Today
Pilates is suitable for toning, fitness, weight-loss* and back-pain help
10x1 hour lessons including a food diary for just £350 Plus bring a friend for free for all 10 sessions! Saving up to £130
Call Ben today on 01904 501533 or complete the form to claim this offer.
Complete this form to grab your offer
Pilates Classes York Haxby – Call Ben now to book in on 01904 501533